Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to Commonly Asked Questions
Do you accept my insurance or EAP benefit?
My provider of choice or the one you think would be a good-fit accepts my insurance plan, so they'll see me, right?
We make every effort to get you in with your preferred provider. However, if their caseload is full or largely full and your insurance company reimburses at a significantly lower rate than others, the provider will likely turn down the referral while requesting the front office find another provider of good-fit in the group or refer you back to your insurance company's provider listing. We attempt to negotiate reasonable, Medicare-based rates but some insurance companies simply won't agree even after no increase for many years. Notably, a consumer has the option to waive their insurance and pay our full fees of $180 (initial session) & $145 for masters level provider and $205 (initial session) & $170 for doctorate level provider.
How quickly can I get in for an appointment?
It depends. Provider availability fluctuates depending on full-time or part-time status, busier (Fall) vs. slower (Summer) time of the year, how long they've been with our group, the number of insurance companies with whom they're contracted, the ages and clinical areas treated. While we do not offer emergent/same-day or urgent/24-48 hour appointments, sometimes providers are available. We typically get new consumers in within a few weeks, but possibly longer depending on the provider. Should a new consumer want or need an appointment day/time other than offered by an assigned provider, the provider will notify the front office to possibly have another provider assigned or referred back to insurance.
Do I owe anything when I come in for an appointment and how does insurance work?
After you provide your insurance information, we will check your benefits to determine whether you have a copay at time-of-service and let you know when you check in for your appointment. Copays can range from $5 to $60, but are usually somewhere in-between. If you have a deductible, then the cost of our contracted rate (the discounted rate from our full fees) with your insurance company gets transferred to you and you'll receive an invoice from us. Once you have met your deductible, then your coinsurance may pay for a percentage (for example 80%) of that contracted rate and you'll receive an invoice for the remainder (for example 20%). As a courtesy, we can help you understand insurance benefits, but the consumer is ultimately responsible for knowing the scope of their plan. Should you have a balance, you'll have the option to pay the front office or provider at time-of-service before your appointment upon checking in. You can also pay online, mail or call in a payment. Payments can be made via cash, check, credit or HSA card. All cards are assessed a 3% admin fee, so we encourage the use of cash or check.
How long will it take to get things settled with the insurance company?
Every insurance company handles billing a little differently, but most process claims within 2-4 weeks. Sometimes there are problems with the billing software, clearing house for claims, insurance company, or internal errors, so we make every effort to follow up and reprocess claims when necessary. If you have specific questions about your benefits or account please feel free to contact us.
How long do I have to pay my invoice and can I make interim payments?
You have 30 days from the date of the invoice to pay your balance. If unpaid, an aging report will notify us after 60 days and a second invoice is sent, along with a Final Demand for Payment letter. After 90 days, a third invoice is sent, along with a 10-Day Intent to Collect letter. After 100 days, an account is turned over to collections. Any payment must then be made to our collections vendor with 25% added to the principal balance. Of course, we always prefer to make a payment plan rather then send consumers to collections. It is our policy to not allow consumers to have more than a $500 balance on an account and continue to be scheduled for further sessions. Likewise, any account with an outstanding balance of greater than 60 days will not be scheduled for additional appointments.
How long has Baume Psychological been in business?
Baume Psychological was started in 2006 as a solo private practice. In January 2013, the practice expanded to include Psychologists, Licensed Clinical Social Workers, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists and Licensed Mental Health Professionals.